Saturday, October 25, 2008

Moneik's Bias Binding Tutorial

When I first started quilting I made a scalloped edged table topper that required bias binding. At that time my mom taught me how to do bias binding, but I would only do it when she was around to help me. A year ago my brother got married and I needed (wanted) to do a bias binding on their wedding quilt so the strip would go diagonally on the binding, but mom wasn't around and it had to be done, so I did it myself and it turned out great. Now I've done bias binding a few times with her tried and true method and I don't mind it a bit.
Here's how mom and I make bias binding:
We use "The Quilter's Pocket Reference" An Easy Guide to Yardage and More by Peggy Schoolley. We refer to it as the Quilter's Bible because we use it so much. It's the little one with the turquoise cover. On page 24-25 it gives the size of square to make the amount you need. I needed 90" and I used a 2 1/2" binding, so my square was 16" I mark two x's on the top and two on the bottom as you see in the next two photos.

October 08 Quilts 002
October 08 Quilts 003
Cut the square diagonally from the upper left hand corner to bottom right.
October 08 Quilts 004

Then take the bottom piece and fold up to the top. The X's are now together on the inside, right sides together. Offset the bottom piece (now on top) by 1/4" to the right which allows for the seam allowance.
October 08 Quilts 005
I pin and then sew at a 1/4" to join the two pieces. I've marked where the X's are on the right sides, so you can which side to sew the 1/4" seam.
October 08 Quilts 007
Then press the seam to one side or open, which ever you prefer. On the longest side, I use the rotary cutter and cut every 2 1/2". In this case I marked the lines, so you can see where I'm cutting. I do have an inch left, but leave it for now. I don't cut to the end, just an inch or so from the end.
October 08 Quilts 008

October 08 Quilts 009
Here's my approximately 1/2 to 1" left uncut at the end.
October 08 Quilts 010
Here's all the binding cut and ready to sew. At this point, cut the extra piece off. (1" in my case"
October 08 Quilts 011
I then shift if to one side to match up with the next piece. If you are attaching to itself and just have loops, it's wrong. It has to be off set and will cause these twisted loops.
October 08 Quilts 012
At this point with the 1/4" seam sewn, you can see that there is about 2" to clip. At this point I either use a shears or rotary cutter to cut the little pieces.
October 08 Quilts 013


October 08 Quilts 014
I quick cut with the shears and my binding is done.
October 08 Quilts 015
Here's the binding. You can see how I layed it so you can see the stretch of the bias in it. There are two seams in it which are in a trapezoid shape. Not sure it you can see the seams, but they are there.
October 08 Quilts 016
Here's my 90" of bias binding.
October 08 Quilts 017
Here's the binding on the top and bottom of my new bag. I had just enough! It's always better to make more than you need! I love that you can use a fat quarter to get a lot of binding made.

October 08 Quilts 019
Hopefully someone will benefit from this tutorial. Let me know if you have any questions or want more clarification. Happy Bias Binding!

2 comments:

Kristie said...

How cool! I will havet to try it that way, I've never seen it done like that!!
Kristie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the excellent tutorial. I've never used bias binding, but I'll try your method when I need it.