Wednesday, October 15, 2008

First Quilt Class

My first quilt class was at the Badlands Quilters Retreat in March 2000. I borrowed Grandma Elaine's sewing machine and mom and I were taking this class together. I went to Sioux Falls to Joann Fabrics and bought fabrics that all had the 4-H theme since I was in Collegiate 4-H. Mom had just given me the requirements for yardage, but I didn't know what we were making. It was the first weekend of Spring Break and I headed home from Brookings in a terrible snow storm. I got to Pierre (about 90 miles from home) and my car broke down. Luckily my aunt and uncle live there and they came to my rescue. I stayed with them until my dad and his other brother could come get my car working the next morning. I didn't get back to Philip until noon on Sat. and the class was half over. My dad took me to Wall and I spent the rest of the day cutting. I didn't even get to sew! Luckily for me mom had also taken the class so she was able to show me what I needed to do while I was home for Spring Break. I still have the pattern, but have never made it again. I don't remember what it was called, but I remember it was a challenge to get the blocks in the right spots. I had everything marked with A,B,C,D. I don't even remember the teachers name who taught this as I was so mad at missing the first half of the day.
HPIM0387


No comments: