Monday, February 18, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!

This past week just flew by and I haven't had a chance to update my blog. I feel like a really bad blogger! I did write a really long post on Friday afternoon at work and wouldn't you know the internet went down and didn't save any of it!
Wednesday night I met my mom after she got off work and we went to the fabric store and Hobby Lobby. They had their bridal event and we needed a bunch of stuff for the wedding, but were waiting for it to go 50% off. I am also taking a jacket class the next few Fri. nights, so I needed help picking the right decorator fabric for it. She took me out to Arnold's Diner a new 60's restaurant in town. It was really enjoyable to spend time with her and visit just the two of us. I got to open my presents from her too. My parents gave me a new black belt with bling bling on it, a Gypsy Gripper, a new Olfa 45 mm quick change rotary cutter, a notebook cover, bobbin saver filled with bobbins, and bobbin buddies.
Valentine's Day was an amazing day for me! I love Valentine's Day and my birthday! I woke up at 6:30 to my dad calling to wish me a happy birthday. I got ready and headed to work. The girls at work had brought donuts, so we had a long mid-morning break. My two close friends at work gave me a cupcake container filled with purple and lavendar m&m's! They know me so well. Too bad they are $12 a pound, we won't be having them at the wedding! I left at lunch and mailed my quilts to Jen. I also stopped at the Bagel shop for a heart shaped bagel sandwich. After work I went home and my brothers both called to visit. Then Paul and I went to The Fireside Inn for our 8PM reservations. They had changed hands and now it is an elegant, fine dining restaurant. They had four choices for the main course, Lamb Cutlets, King Salmon, Wild Cornish Game Hen, or Beef Tenderloins. We were really were looking forward to the Prime Rib they used to have, so we were really disappointed. We had the beef Tenderloin, but it was really small. It came with wild Pheasant soup, a mini eggplant filled with crawdads, a couple hard as a baseball buns, a twice baked yam in a tomato shell, stringy green beans, and hazelnut creme brule. Neither of us enjoyed the meal and it was really over priced for what we got, so we won't be going back there. We'll have to find a new special occasion restaurant. Paul gave me a 4GB pink MP3 player which I really wanted, so I was excited. His mom got me a new curling iron and hairdryer that I had asked for as well.
Friday after work we packed our bags and went to the Engaged Encounter weekend. It was really a very good weekend for us. We listened to presentations, wrote our thoughts and dialogued. It was a relaxing experience and we learned a lot more about the Catholic faith and marriage. We were both glad we had went. We stayed at the monestary, so got to meet several other couples and get to know them. One of the best things was the Sat. night meal was done by candlelight each couple sat at their own table and we got flowers, wine, and there was music. It was so romantic and the food was way better than our V-day meal. We were completely exhausted when we got home. We layed on the couch and watched the end of the Daytona 500 and then I reorganized my computer table and cleaned my room. It really needed it. I was too tired to sew, so I went to bed early.
Hopefully this week I will get to sew some and finally get caught up at work.


Cindy (aka Peony the House Elf) said...

It sounds like you had a great weekend. Sorry your favorite restaurant turned out to be such a bummer. I know it's hard when you're looking forward to a certain kind of food and then they go and change everything. Your story reminds me of that commercial on TV where the couple go out to dinner and the portions are so small they end up in what looks like a mini mart buying all kinds of junk food because they are still hungry.

Jen said...

Your birthday sounds like it was just beyond awesome! Do you have your ipod all loaded yet?

I'm glad you enjoyed your retreat. Ours was awful and I almost walked out on it at one point.

Kristie said...

Wow! What a great weekend! Sure sounds like you had a great birthday and Valentine's Day!!! Lots of nice gifts too!

Nancy said...

Sounds like a busy weekend. I remember all the pre-wedding hoopla with my two daughters who are married - one in 2001 and one 2 years ago today. So many things to think about and plan and do. Both of them lived in the Atlanta area - one got married in St Simons, GA where her husband is from and one got married at the Atlanta Motor Speedway the Sat before the Daytona 500. Because they were away from here I wasn't able to help as much as I would have liked, but there were an incredible number of things to think about, etc - without doing all the quilting you are doing! Hope it doesn't all bog you down.

So who are your favorite drivers?

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

What a great weekend. And the not so great weekend, well, in 20 years, you will look back at that and laugh about it. Glad you had a good weekend.
Regina....still waiting to dwirl(hehehehehhe)

Amelia said...

Don't you hate to pay good money for lousy food...I know I do.

Sounds like you got some neat gifts from your loved ones.

More progress on the wedding plans...that is wonderful!

Suzan said...

What a super weekend! I think "Encounter" weekends are just wonderful.

Michele said...

I'm glad you had such a good weekend.
To be honest, though, I don't envy you all of the wedding planning - I was happy to get married, but HATED all of the planning. It's good to know the encounter weekend wasn't a waste of your time - I've heard of others that didn't have such a good experience. I was just glad we didn't have to do that!

quiltin cntrygrl said...

sounds like you had a great weekend. Hope you enjoyed your birthday.

jillquilts said...

I am glad that you had a great birthday and that the Satruday dinner made up for the Valentine's b-day dinner!