Monday, August 06, 2007

Monday, August 6, 2007 - The Bikes are Here!

I can hear the royal rumbling of the bikes and it's after 10PM! I love the sounds of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, as long as I don't have to drive there. We live about 20 miles from Sturgis, SD, where the annual Motorcycle Rally takes place for a week each August. We're less than a mile from I-90, so there is constant traffic on the road. We saw a few on Sat., heard more yesterday when I stayed home, but this afternoon I could tell they had arrived! I think there are 10 times the bikes on the road and they all drive my main route home, so I have to be extra careful. It takes me a good 10 minutes extra to get home. Last year I missed the rally completely because my grandpa died on Sat. and my grandma died on Mon., so I spent the entire week at my parents, which is 120 miles away. I enjoy seeing all the interesting attire the bikers wear. I'm not much for riding nor dressing so scantily, but I do enjoy seeing what others are will to do. We will probably go up and walk around one night this weekend. If you've never been to a rally, it's an interesting experience. One play you don't find them is in the quilt shops. More room for me! A lot of people won't even drive when the bikers are in town because of the traffic issues. They travel all over Western SD, going to the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Deadwood, and throughout the Black Hills. I love to see the bikers, but it always gets really quiet when they go home.
Post A Comment! :: Send to a Friend!
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by orchidlover
how wonderful. I love bikers rallies. there's a big one over here in October. it has become a tourist attraction, can you believe that. It's held in a coastal town and they close the beach for races. i love going there and hearing the noise love and hugs gina xxx
Permanent Link Edit Delete
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
Lucky you! I have a friend that goes there every year. He always brings back tons of photos and some of them...well lets just say, aren't fit for the kids to look at. But he always has such a nice time. I have never been to that one, but did go to Daytona for Bike week once. I spent a week in a tent, I thought I would die. Kristie
Permanent Link Edit Delete
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Cre8tiveQuilter
That's awesome!! We're in Milwaukee so every 5 years or so we get the big Harley Davidson Rally. I've been told though that it's nothing like Sturgis. I LOVE when they're all here. And you're right...better people watching than any other time.
Permanent Link Edit Delete

No comments: