Thursday, August 09, 2007

Thursday, August 9, 2007 - What is Hardanger?

Boy I never thought about explaining what hardanger was, nor do I know how to really explain it. It is an old Norweigen art form. My great aunt Mildred almost exclusively does this type of needlework. I grew up thinking it was really gorgeous, so I wanted to learn and it looked so easy! I use #5 DMC thread to do the Satin stitches. There are five rows of thread that cover four rows of the aida cloth. They alternate going horizontal and vertical and usually in a diagonal line. Then after the pattern is completed you cut around the stitching and pull threads to make weaves and webs in the open spaces. A lot of times it is stitched white on white or cream on cream on 22 or 24 count Aida or Hardanger cloth. The intricate work with the weaving uses #8 DMC thread. It's very detailed work because of the cutting. Everything has to match perfectly or when you cut it the stitching will fall out. The back should be as clean as the front because you don't want to have threads behind open areas or cut a thread that is part of the rest of the design. My favorite site to order materials from is Nordic Needle. They have an awesome selection of books, charts, and patterns as well as the thread and cloth. I'll include a link to the site so you can see different patterns. They aren't very good pictures to show the detail, but if I can find the picture of a doily I completed when i get home I will upload it. I have gotten the whole outside section done and it looks really neat already. I'll post pictures when it looks like something.
http://www.nordicneedle.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=A07-13-00
Post A Comment! :: Send to a Friend!
Thursday, August 9, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by CountryQuilter
I just looked at some of those books on that website. That stuff is beautiful... I'm amazed at the work that would go into one. I've never heard of it before, but it is truly beautiful... Kristie
Permanent Link Edit Delete
Thursday, August 9, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by Cre8tiveQuilter
Wow. Now I think I've seen it in person. I know it's not totally like it but the finished product looks something like a chroched doiley? But obviously has more structure because of the geometric aspect and that it's onto cloth. Very Pretty
Permanent Link Edit Delete
Thursday, August 9, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by jillquilts
I think that I have seen it, too, but neve knew what it was. Very pretty!
Permanent Link Edit Delete
Thursday, August 9, 2007 - Wow!
Posted by born2quilt
I looked at the link and at the books. I think my grandmom used to do this but I never knew what it was called. Thanks for sharing. I may just try one myself. Stephanie
Permanent Link Edit Delete
Thursday, August 9, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by 51050
My daughter-in-law's grandma made our little granddaughter a hardanger bonnet and bib. It was really beautiful! Rhoda
Permanent Link Edit Delete

No comments: