Monday, August 23, 2010

Hold That Thought!

Last Tuesday, when my mom and great-aunt Mae came to visit, she wanted to see my quilt frame in action. She couldn't believe how big it was. I had two fat quarters ready to put on it and I was able to quickly quilt them up to show her how it worked. She was amazed and now understands how I can get so much done with so many machines and the frame. After she left, I cut out two squares and made "Hold That Thought" envelopes from The Teachers Pet pattern. The big one is the large size and the smaller one is the small size. I put binding on and did the hand work this week during breaks. I also folded and stitched them together. These are samples for the store from a Christmas line of fabric, but they would work in any fabric. It made a super quick project for practicing machine quilting.
IMG_0339
The small one holds a gift card and the larger one can hold a jelly roll. I used Fruitcake by Moda fat quarters. I love this line! Totally different Christmas colors, but oh so fun. I thought they would be tedious, but actually they whip together pretty fast and were fun to make.
IMG_0342
Aunt Mae's been quilting longer than anyone I've known, but she does all her quilting by hand, so very different than how I learned, but we still learn from each other. I'm so glad she was able to come out for a visit.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I've never seen a "Hold that Thought." That's pretty cute!

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Those are so cute and what a great idea!

Cindy said...

Those are really cute now I'll be looking for that pattern next,