Tuesday, August 31, 2010

East River Quilt Shop Hop

Mom and I know how to have fun when we travel... we go shop hopping. My parents and I went to a wedding in Sioux Falls this weekend, but along the way we had to make a few stops at quilt shops. We traveled on Friday, so the shops were all fairly quiet and we could take our time looking. My dad needs a new overnight bag, so I wanted some fabric that he would like. I found this pheasant fabric in Chamberlain at The Quilt Shop. I'm going to use the Lazy Girl Summer Tote pattern with a few adjustments to make it workable for the type of bag I want.  We stopped next in Mitchell and had to do a little manuevering to get to the shop since the carnival was on main street. I'm just glad we were able to get there. The pheasants in the lower right hand corner I picked up at the Pin Cushion in Mitchell. I love how realistic they are. I figure I should have enough and can play around to figure out how I will use them all.
IMG_0464
Then it was on to Dell Rapids to Always Your Design. It has moved across the street into two store fronts and WOW! It is huge. We really enjoy going to this shop as they have awesome taste and we always find lots of things to take home. My mom taught one of the owners in high school, so she always enjoys catching up with her.
I brought home a couple yards of this Lamour fabric by Sandy Gervais for Moda. Mom is going to make me a new top out of it.
Lamour
I also found the one thing I was looking for on this shop hop... Milliner needles size 11 by Richard Hemming and Son. I learned to hand sew binding down with these needles two years ago and I'm down to one left of two packages I've had, so I picked up a few more packages!
Saturday morning we had some time in Sioux Falls before the wedding. My cousins were at the Hobby Lobby, so we went to Dutch Rose Quilt Shop. I found this cute little ArtBin container. At Joann's I found the little cutter I've been searching for, for the past 1.5 years. Mom got a few of them too! They work perfectly for taking sweatshirts apart for sweatshirt jackets.
IMG_0458
We went to Heirloom Creations and I picked up thread and a new Creative Grids 4.5x8.5" ruler. I've been slowly adding new Creative Grids rulers to my collection and I love this new one. I'm sure it will get a lot of use. I knew exactly what thread color I was getting low on, so I was prepared. I love Aurifil thread and wish I could find it closer, but at least I can get it on my shop hops and not have to send away for it.
IMG_0455
At Dutch Rose Quilt Shop I found this pattern for a baked potato/tortilla warmer. It's different than the ones I have, so I'm looking forward to trying it. We warm up a lot of tortillas.
IMG_0454
At The Pin Cushion in Mitchell I picked up the Atkinson Designs Happy Holidays Table Topper pattern. I've wanted this pattern for a long time and finally found it. I love the Halloween look. I'm also thinking it would make a really cool tree skirt, so I may just have to make one of those too.
IMG_0466
Last night I stopped at the shop and picked up candy corn fabric and three coordinates to go with it. I'm going to make up a couple table toppers. At Hobby Lobby in SF when we met up with our cousins, we found these really cute candy corn shaped dishes. I think they will be perfect for the center of these table toppers.
IMG_0450

Mom and I had tons of fun shop hopping. My dad is a great sport and he patiently waits for us at each shop. We were able to get to 6 shops in 2 days. I always enjoy going to the shops East River and I never know what we might find. We have the same taste, so we skip the shops which are not our style. Now I just have to find the time to make all these projects up before the baby makes it's arrival!

No comments: