Monday, August 09, 2010

French Braid Tablerunner

Saturday at work it was a bit slow, probably because all the bikers have arrived in town and the locals stay home. I was trying to come up with ideas for classes and wanted a class that I could use my new 60* ruler with. I found the French Braid Tablerunner in the Let's Do Lunch book by Atkinson Designs. I'd been wanting to make one for a gift, but wasn't sure how it would turn out, so I decided to give it a try. Instead of using 8 4.5"x2 1" cuts, I used 4 fat quarters, background, and binding. I cut 2 strips 4.5"x21 off all 4 fat quarters stacked together. Then I put the ruler on and started cutting. I'm using a new specialty ruler by Creative Grids - The 60* Double Strip Ruler and I fell in love with it!
IMG_0280
In 15 min. flat I had all the fat quarters and background cut out with this ruler.
IMG_0281
I did two different lay outs and couldn't decide which was more pleasing. I ended up going with the 2 rows on the bottom, doing all the rows the same and flipping the 2nd row 180*.
IMG_0284
In just under an hour I was able to get 4 rows completely sewn together. I have 8 left to go. The fabric is  Chic or Treat. The background is glow in the dark Rock Candy. I figured since the class is in Oct. Halloween fabric would be the way to go. I'm loving how it's going together using just the 4 fabrics instead of the 8. I'm thinking I'll have enough left of my fat quarters to make a small tabletopper too.
IMG_0286
I can tell I'll definately be using this pattern again and I'll use up some of my batik purple scraps to make tablerunners for the two wedding gifts I need to make before the end of the month. I absolutely love this ruler and I'm thinking I may even try my hand at doing another One block wonder using it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is a really cute pattern and I love the fabrics.

We did see LOTS of motorcycles on our recent trip to your area!