Sunday, July 06, 2008

Production at it's finest!

Today we had nothing planned... nothing that had to be done... and plenty of time for sewing. I got up early and got ready to start sewing. I made a log cabin cross wall hanging. Someone asked about a tutorial for doing binding by machine, so I took pictures of all the steps and hope to get that written up this week some time. I'm still having problems with webshots, so I don't know when I'll get them all together and have it written up. I finished this one with machine, but have some hand stitching to do tomorrow at work on the hanger. You'll just have to ignore my ironing board, it doesn't really help the picture, but you get the idea. This was a kit I picked up at a cute little shop outside of Joplin, MO. Paul thought it was a cool wall hanging and the kit with the pattern was 10, so I thought that was a great deal. I plan to make others as I don't care for the fabric, but I liked how easy it was to put together. I have to tweak it a bit as a couple of the logs are going the wrong direction, but now I know how to do it differently.

I got done with this about 3 and convinced my MIL to sew with me for a while. I was going to make another runaround bag, so I gave her a stack of fat quarters and said choose two and I promise you'll be done with it tonight. She didn't really think she'd get it done, but she got busy sewing. She finished a fleece blanket she was making for Paul and I and then I helped her make the bag. Within three hours, set up, sewing the king size fleece blanket, making the runaround, and a wonder wallet, she was done for the night. I was so proud of her finishing three things that I made her a checkbook cover to go with it. She was really pleased!!! Here's her finished runaround bag. While she was finishing it up, I just happened to have the wonder wallet cut out and told her how to sew it, so she was done in a flash with it too.
July Quilts 055

While she was sewing on those projects, I worked on a couple Wonder Wallets and a couple more runaround purses. Mom and I are going on a shop hop on Friday, so I knew we needed a couple purses. I got them made using the leftover fat quarters from the Loralie Designs fabric I used to make the big bag for my quilts. I think they turned out awesome. I also worked on another bag tonight, but it was lightning really bad, so I turned everything off and unplugged my machine.
July Quilts 056
Tonight we figured out where the quilt frame will go. Mom and I will pick it up on Fri. and I wanted the space to be ready when we got it home. We'll have to move the futon to the living room and it will go in that space. We thought we would have to move it to the garage if I wanted to do big ones, but I measured the room tonight and with a little rearranging I can set it up at 120 with no problems! I'm so excited to get my frame and start playing.
It's been a long day of sewing, but I feel like I've been really productive and I'm getting closer to catching Jen and Jill. Maybe with a little luck I can catch them this week, but I have a feeling I'll fall behind next weekend too.


Gina said...

I love your bags.

You go girl. I'm sure once you get your frame you'll fly past those other two.

Love and hugs Gina xx

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Holy Crap, Moneik! You have been busy. Nice job! I love all your craftyness!

Kristie said...

Wonderful job!!! I love the border fabric on your cross wallhanging!! I bet you can't wait to get your new frame!!!!!