Monday, February 22, 2021

Hand Sewing Binding

Thursday and Friday I was busy sewing binding down by hand, so I could finish these two projects. I sewed the binding on Jungle Friends and used Mikaela's orthodontist appointment and Mathew's Parents First Communion meeting on Thursday to get in quite a bit of stitching on the quilt. I was 2" short of the binding, so I picked some up at The Sewing Center on Thursday and sewed it on to finish up the machine part on Thursday night. It turned out super cute and I was able to finish the hand sewing Friday. 
A high school classmate commissioned me to make this to give to her new grandson, due any day. The mom is my nurse at one of the clinics I go to regularly. She requested golden colors with giraffes, monkeys, and elephants. It turned out better than I hoped. I had a giraffe pattern and had planned to add an elephant pattern I had seen. When I went looking for the monkey pattern, I found a pattern online that was all three and I adjusted it to include the animals she requested. It was the same designer as the original giraffes' pattern, Sew Fresh Quilts. 
I found this panel and decided to make the giraffe to gift with the baby quilt. I think it turned out super cute. 
I have never used the lettering on my machine but didn't feel like dragging out the embroidery machine, so I tried it out for this label. It took me about 4 tried to get it right, but I'm pleased with how it turned out and I was able to match the fabric on the quilt, so it looks like it belongs. I hand sewed it down this morning and will deliver it over lunch today. 
I also finished the hand sewing on the binding for my Sakura Stars table runner. I hope to get it in the mail later this week to my friend for her birthday. It's English Paper Pieced and I started it in July of 2019. 


Saturday we went shopping in Sturgis and Spearfish. It was a beautiful day and it was nice to get out and go for a drive after the bitter cold of the previous two weekends. I worked on block 3 of the Threadology quilt-along Saturday night. I cut one of the large red squares in the wrong direction without realizing it, but I found the fabric pretty easily and was able to re-cut one and finish it up. I'm loving how these blocks look. Hopefully, I'll be able to get at least one more block set done this month. 

Mikaela got her expander put in her mouth on Thursday morning. She's doing well with it so far and is figuring out what she can and can't eat. The biggest struggle is pop and chips. We've had a few meltdowns over pop, but otherwise, she's been loving it. 
Yesterday I cleaned my closet. I took out a bunch of summer clothes and all of my "too big" jeans. I've lost 19 lbs and so far have been keeping it off. I'm really happy with my progress, but it was time for all the clothes to go. It gave our room a nice refresh as I re-organized. It felt so good to get so much done. I look forward to cleaning up my sewing area next. 
Last night I was able to work on my Thread Dispenser. I modified the pattern a bit, so I am hopeful it will work. I just need to put the binding on next. 

 

1 comment:

Sara said...

Your daughter's smile will be even prettier after making that commitment to the ortho work. That baby quilt is just the cutest!