Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Dad's Birthday Quilt

This year I'm making everyone in my family a little something from my mom's stash of fabric. Depending on what I find, some I know exactly what I'm doing, and others I have to figure out what she was planning. This quilt is one she and I had planned for my dad's Christmas present. We bought it when we went to Dell Rapids to the quilt shop there in Aug. 2010 when we were going to a cousins reunion. My dad sat in the car, so he had no idea we bought it. We cut it out at Thanksgiving, so mom could make the top. She got started on it and I finished it up and quilted it in March. My dad is a huge International Harvester fan, so much so that I have that song as the ringtone when he calls!
Quilt 081
I did a huge meander all over it and used Thermore batting, so it's light. My dad is normally hot, so I figured a light quilt for the summer would be good. Mom had even bought 3 spools of King Tut to quilt it with. I used not even a 1/4 of one.
Quilt 085
I added a label to the back, so my dad would know who made it.
Quilt 087
The backing fabric is some she had left over from making my little bro Ed PJ's back in the day.
Quilt 088
I picked up the green grass IH tractor fabric at the store this year and made up these two pillowcases for my dad using the leftover fabric.
Quilt 090
I think he liked the quilt, but he was way more excited about the Ruger .22-250 that all of us kids went together and bought him. He even had to have my brothers go to Rapid yesterday so he could get a scoop and a mounting kit too. I don't remember my dad ever getting a new gun, at least in the last 20 years, so I can see why he was excited.

2 comments:

Colleen said...

As a girl who grew up in a "Red is good, green is bad" family, LOVE IT! Just curious who the manufacture is, as I know some men who would love a quilt out of that, too.

Vesuviusmama said...

I love tractors, so this quilt really tickles my fancy. Love the pillow cases, too!