Monday, August 18, 2008

Stuck on a project

Have you ever been stuck on a project and just can't move on or get motivated to do anything else? I've hit a road block. I've been working on a secret project for the past few weeks. I cut everything out, was working on the applique, and I guess I was tired because I realized on the last one how bad the applique stitch I was using looked. I hate to do bad work and these were supposed to be cool gifts. So I threw them to the side and haven't been back since! That was Tues. night.
Wednesday night I was invited to the home of one of my new co-workers (at the LQS). A bunch of the girls went to her house and we visited and had a nice evening out, but it was late, so I didn't tackle the project that night. Thurs. night we had planned to sew at the store, but no one felt like it, so instead I came home and watched BB10. I had big plans of getting back to the project, but didn't feel like it. So I started cutting out my Happy Hour quilt. I think I got about 10 of the 40 fat quarters cut out before I called it quits for the night.
Friday Paul and I went to a party for his work. We had supper with his boss & wife and co-worker and wife. We had a nice time and we enjoyed visiting with them, but it was a late night. Sat morning I got up and cleaned house, sweeping, mopping, dusting, and then washing the quilts. I had sorely neglected my duties during Survivor month, so I did massive cleaning. Paul helped too and then we went to lunch and grocery shopping. I had to start my new job at the LQS at 2, so he dropped me off and finished up the shopping.
I really enjoyed my first day at the LQS. I learned a lot and got to help a lot of people. My feet were glad when it was finally 6! I had worn the wrong shoes and my feet were telling me so! Paul picked me up and wanted to do a few errands... Menards, Cabela's, and Lowes. Then we saw furniture row was open for the first time, so we stopped there too. I so could have layed down on one of the mattresses and went to sleep! I got home and literally crashed, I was exhausted!
Sunday I slept in and made it up just in time to go to work at 11. My day went much quicker and I learned more, and my feet didn't hurt nearly as bad. After work I met mom and we went to the fair to look at the quilts. I was surprised that there weren't really that many. When I got home, I watched BB10 and then I crashed! I didn't sew even an inch this weekend. I'm seriously disappointed in myself. I work tonight after my regular day job and then I'll go home and try to sew at least a little bit. If I don't finish my project, I have a feeling I'll be stuck in this rut for a while.
While I'm on the topic of my new fun part time job I'll also let you know I have a new full-time job as well. I'm moving within the university I work for, from the distance learning campus to the Registrar's office. This transition will take place over the next month or so, so I'll be learning two new jobs at once! I'm so excited for these two new adventures in my life.

8 comments:

Mom said...

Moneik , you make me tired just reading about all your activity. I am sure you will evetually get to your projects .Just don't burn yourself out. Nancy

Hazel said...

Slow down there is just to many new things going on in your life at once .The quilting will always be there .Enjoy you new jobs and allow yourself some time ,you deserve a break ..

Sandra said...

Maybe you just needed a break after your past month of sewing.Sounds like you've been busy. Can't wait to see what you do next.....

Regina said...

Congrats on both new jobs - don't worry - the projects will get done and the recipients will be happy! Relax and get into your new routine - and take care of your feet! If the feet get tired -the whole body gets tired!!!

Anonymous said...

I did the same thing last weekend, spent the whole weekend doing laundry and watching the Olympics, didn't sew a thing!Sometimes we just need a break.

BitnByAQuiltingBug said...

Wow...you are sure a busy woman. Sounds like you are having a great time, though! Enjoy!
Regina

Jennifer said...

Hope both new jobs are going well. I've been in a sewing slump lately too...just a little now and then and a few big projects that are just tempting me everytime I walk in my room. Take some time off or try something different...you'll get back to the other project soon enough!

kt said...

welcome to my life! :) quilter's block stinks... I start so many things when I am super motivated and then they end up tossed aside waiting for the next inspirational spurt. the one thing I remind myself is that I can't get mad or frustrated with myself for my lack of quilting activity. obviously, there's a reason why I am not working on something - I have other plans, I am not feeling creative, or I just plain ol' need to do something else. I'm sure you'll get back on the creative wagon soon enough. maybe it's just a little burnout from a crazy july of 24/7 quilting! I look forward to seeing your secret project... whenever it gets done! :) good luck!