Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Girls Weekend Quilts & Vines 2009

Last weekend Mom and I had a Girls weekend and traveled to Sioux Falls. We took off around noon on Friday. We stopped at The Quilt Shop in Chamberlain. They have tons of samples and we found some great quilting related fabrics. We checked in at the hotel, had "Driving Miss Daisy" our GPS find a great Mexican restaurant, and stopped at Joann's. Then we were back to the hotel to set up our machines and start sewing. We enjoyed the hot tub and met some bikers headed back to MN from Sturgis.
Saturday morning we got up early and went to the Quilts & Vines Outdoor Quilt Show. It's located at a vineyard/winery north of Sioux Falls, near Renner, SD. It was a great show and we saw some amazing quilts. My favorites included this deer quilt, similar to the one I made Paul.
IMG_0164
A Winding Ways Quilt which I would really like to make. I love the colors in it.
IMG_0167
A bargello which I really would like to make as well.
IMG_0188
A great Halloween wall hanging.
IMG_0209
A bargello flag, similar to the kit I have to make one.
IMG_0277
An awesome applique wall hanging. This one is a bit different one than the ones we have in the shop.
IMG_0289
The grapes on the vines. All the quilts are displayed on the vines of the vineyard/winery.
IMG_0298
Two Stepping Stones Quilts made with a variety of prints. I have the pattern and have been wanting to make it, but the one on the front of the pattern is solid colored. I loved these made out of a variety of prints.
IMG_0318
IMG_0330
Mom and I left the quilt show when it got so humid we could hardly stand it. We went to Always My Design, a great quilt shop in Dell Rapids. Then we went in to SF to Heirloom Creations. I found the panel I had been looking for and several other coordinates. We had lunch at Panera Breads and then went to Luverne MN to The Sewing Basket. Neither mom nor I had been there before, so they had lots of fabrics unique to us. We got a couple fabric books. Then it was back to SD to Brandon where we stopped at Quilted Memories. Then in to SF to Dutch Rose quilt shop. We had a great time touring all the quilt shops in the area, with stops at other shops we don't have in Rapid City. We had a great supper at Spezia before heading back to the hotel. I worked on the blocks for my signature quilt. I got a few done, but I have more to do. Sun. morning mom and I met my college friends Nich and Jon and their son Mason for lunch at Camille's. It was a great little sidewalk cafe and I really enjoyed it. We made a few more stops before heading home. We arrived home by 7:30, so it was a great fun weekend with mom.

3 comments:

piecesofpatti said...

Sounds like a great time! The quilts were great. Did you get a lot of fabric in all those shops! Woo-hoo! Love to fabric shop!

Cindy said...

It sounds like the two of you had a great time together. The quilts you took pictures of are really pretty. With all those shops you hit I'm sure the car was full on the way home. Thanks for sharing the great pictures.

Jen said...

I get a kick out of the GPS's name!! That's great. I still haven't made it thought all the awesome quilts yet. I'm glad you and your mom got to have a girls weekend. You both deserved it!!