Thursday, March 27, 2014

Amazing Week of Finishes!

This has been an AMAZING WEEK!!! I truly am blessed by good fortune, friends, and support. I finished my last class for my Masters in Management in Proprietary Higher Education Management on Monday. My final grade was a 97.6%! That gives me an A, so I got a 4.0 while in my masters program! It doesn't really matter at this level, but I am so excited to be done and have done so well.
Last week I taught a class and saw a little Janome Jem Gold 2 on the used table. I inquired about it, the cost, etc. and figured it was the perfect machine for Mikaela. She wants to sew, but there are too many buttons for her to get into trouble with on the Bernina. I took it for a test drive Friday night and fell in love. It's perfect for her, but works for me too.
Saturday I surprised her with a trip to the Sewing Center to buy her first machine. She had so much fun picking out fabric, testing it, and looking around. Shaina was so professional and treated her so well. She had her sit up to the machine, try the buttons, and see if it was the right fit.

She got to pick out a drag blanket kit and 2 1/2 yard cuts of fabric.
Untitled
Sunday we sewed this drag blanket together. It was super easy. She ran the foot pedal and pulled out the pins, while I guided it and she had her hands on mine. This is the kit I would have picked, but I let her pick it out and she picked this one. She has the same taste as me!
Untitled
It is the perfect size for dragging around, taking to daycare, or sleeping with at night.
She even helped me thread the machine.






Then we made a little daycare bag. It's the perfect size for her and I winged it with her fabric and some from stash. I've cut out a few more to make for her friends. She sewed all the seams and helped turn it. It was so fun to spend all day Sunday sewing together. Now she's requested a stuffed animal. That's a bit out of my comfort zone.

This week I was busy making this table runner for a class sample. It's #Seaside by Jaybird Quilts. I used a charm pack instead of the 5 strips.

I used a wool batting for it to be puffy. It's going to be a bed runner.

This week I was able to get the binding on Swoon and get it washed and dryed in our new washer. It turned out so nicely! I'll keep it off the bed until after the quilt show in June though. I'm planning for it to be my first entry.
Untitled
I also got the binding on my brother Ed's Crown Royal quilt. This project has been in the works since 2010 or so, so it feels great to have it done!

I also was able to quilt and bind the Star Light Star Bright quilt. It's a table topper for a co-workers wedding present. I again used a wool batting scrap for this one.
Star Light Star Bright
I feel like it's been a great week and I've accomplished so much. Now I'm not sure what to work on next! I have plenty of projects, but no deadlines, so I need to figure out what my April goals will be.




Needle and Thread Thursday

7 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

Wow, that is an amazing week of finishes!! Way to go!!! I love the straight line quilting on your table topper!! So cute!! It really finished it just perfect ;) Be sure to email me a pic and your deets for the parade ;)

Emilee said...

so cute! I have a couple stuffed animal patterns if you need one!

Sara said...

Congratulations on finishing up that masters degree! A huge accomplishment.

What fun that you and your daughter are sewing together. You'll have some wonderful memories and you are so smart to take some photos now while you can.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Congratulations on graduation! I love reading about your daughter's sewing... And your quilts are gorgeous too.

Heidi [Banks of Frog Creek] said...

Love reading about your daughter's sewing adventures! What great memories you two are making! Great finishes... I'm sure your swoon will do well in the show - it's beautiful!

Andee said...

Swoon is AWESOME and I love your Crown quilt too...having been down both those roads I know the work involved...Swoon is one of my faves for sure and I really like it in your fabrics!

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

you have so many amazing things going on! love the table runner, and I think that drag blanket is too sweet! All kids should have one!

Thanks so much for showing this off at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation