Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Tote Bag Sample

 Last night I worked on a bag as a sample for the 4-H Club I am teaching to sew next Saturday. We've already done pillowcases and masks, so this year we're doing bags. 

I made a blanket for my daughter's friend. It's really tiny and is for her stuffed cow. This is a scrap of minkee, so a quick stitch, flip, and topstitch. I think it took about 10 minutes. 

Then I worked on the bag. The pattern is a Lazy Girl free pattern, With Love Tote, and uses a yard of fabric and I made the handles with webbing. It's a fairly good sized tote. 

Sewing the edge closed on the lining. 
The hole to turn it through. 
Corners cut out for a boxed corner. 
I drew it out so the kids could see. Then they will cut with scissors on the marked line. 
Ruler to show the corner size. 
I'm really frustrated that I couldn't find a one-page pattern on how to make a canvas tote with a 1/2 yard of outdoor or canvas material. I need to bite the bullet and make one, so I can teach the kids how to make it. We'll see how this one goes and then I may teach another class for the county 4-H kids. 

2 comments:

Sara said...

Bet those 4-H kids will really enjoy making and then using those tote bags. They can brag to everyone that they made it themselves. Yay!

Jennifer said...

Looks like a great project for the kids!