Thursday, December 26, 2013

2013 Quilts in Review

2013 was the year of the UFO at the Sewing Center and with the incentive to complete as many projects as I could, I took off. I accomplished a lot and finished some UFO's I never thought would see the light of day. The ones that are left - they are all the big ones I can't finish with my frame in the small size. So I didn't work on them. I have about 10 or so of my own left and 10 or so of mom's left. All of them are fairly big, so I hope to complete at least 1 from either list each month next year. I also have some challenging quilts I want to start next year, just to take my quilting to a new level.
I finished this Briar Rose quilt made of scrap batiks. I plan to make another one from my regular fabric scraps, so I have been cutting up scraps and sewing sets of squares as a leaders and enders project this year.

I used up some of my Let it Snow batik to make a throw for the couch. I love the fabric and still have plenty to make something this year. I also made a table topper and pillow to match.

I used up some scraps to make this Teacups baby quilt for a class I taught. It's a baby size quilt.

I made this Peaks quilt out of 12 fat quarters for a sample for the store.

This quilt is a a Chevron quilt I made as a sample for a class I taught.

This one was a new quilt I made. It's an English Paper Pieced star I pieced in 1 month . It's a wall hanging.

I finished this Unity wall hanging. I thought the pattern was for a bigger quilt, but with only 1 1/2" strips, it finished very small.

Scrappy Hugs and Kisses was a fun quilt to make with leftover batik strips. I have enough leftovers to make a scrappy batik Trip Around the World next year.

I pieced some leftover batiks into this diamond. It's very small with 1/2" hexie's, but was a new project for me this year.

The Thangles BOM started as a fun project in 2009, but with lots of problems I just didn't enjoy the colors or the finished project, so I put it off for a long time. This year at retreat I finished the top, so I was able to get it finished this year.

Frolic Star Surround was made from a Quilt a Long. I love the blocks and did it after it was over, but still enjoyed making it. I used scraps from Frolic.

My oldest UFO was completed, thanks to a Year of Lovely Finishes. I made this appliqued wold for Paul. I started it in 2008.

This quilt was Mikaela's quilt for Christmas. I wanted to make a large Carpenter Star, so I used a piece of minkee and matched the colors to it. I used all Stash fabric to make it.

These are just a few quilts I made this year. I completed 55 UFO's, 60 NEW projects, 14 Samples, and 14 of Mom's UFO's. All in all I feel very good about how much I got done. I have projects lined up and waiting for next year. I have 1 sample I need to make before the end of the year and then it will be one to new projects.


Sara said...

Wow! That is an impressive list of finishes.

Andee said...

That is a beautiful parade!

Jennifer said...

As always, you got a ton done - even more impressive with your more limited sewing space!

Deb A said...

Beautiful quilt parade... and I am amazed at the numbers of completed things you have done this year.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

Amazing Moneik! Especially with 2 little people in the house... I don't know how you manage it. Happy New Year!