Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Where have I been?

 

Wow, almost 2 years worth of a blogging break? Who knew it had been that long? I guess I spend more time posting to IG than I do writing blog posts. Probably because it's easier to post a quick photo on my phone. I honestly thought it had only been the past year and I knew the reason for that. 

One year ago, at the end of September, I was diagnosed with DCIS breast cancer. While stage 1 prognosis was good, it took over a month to get the breast MRI scheduled for October 24th to see where cancer had spread. I planned to have a right side lumpectomy on October 30th and be back in the office 2 weeks later. Since my mom had passed away from breast and brain cancer, I have been very proactive about getting my mammograms. Due to dense breast tissue, if I hadn't had those early ones, they would not have found it last year, at age 39. 

October 29th as I was clearing off my desk to leave work, the surgeon called. The cancer was no longer in the duct, but in 3-5 spots and a lumpectomy was no longer an option. I took some time to regroup, met with a plastic surgeon, medical and radiation oncologists, and formed a new plan. December 16th I underwent a double mastectomy and reconstructive surgery. I was in the hospital for 3 days and then home for 3 weeks. I did really well with the surgery and recovery. 

I was able to attend our guilds annual sewing retreat in January and had port placement surgery and started chemo at the end of January. I spent 2 months doing bi-weekly chemo, then 3 months of weekly chemo. In July I started 5 weeks of daily radiation and successfully completed it on August 17th. 

Due to COVID, I worked from home from March 15-August 1st. My biggest issue was extreme fatigue. In the process, I was connected with 2 friends who also were going through BC treatment and we supported each other through the process. I am now waiting to have the final phase of my reconstruction surgery in February. 



I made pillowcases for other BC sisters in the fight for life. 



I worked on my Jewelled Hearts EPP table runner. It's still a WIP as I did very little waiting where I felt like stitching. 
I made a journal cover for my sewing journal. 
I made a bosom buddy for the car seatbelt. 


My sewing pretty much went to the wayside for the past year. I did a few things, but nothing compared to normal. I'm feeling much better. I'm back at work and doing a lot of sewing again. I have a FB group - Moneik Boots Cancer if you're interested in my journey. 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow, I can’t believe you haven’t blogged in 2 years! Glad to hear that you’re feeling better and getting your energy back - hope the last part of your reconstruction goes well and you continue to recover!