Wednesday, September 12, 2012

WIP Wednesday 37 9.12.12


This week flew by, but boy did I have fun! I finished the top of Jen's swap quilt and I love it if I do say so myself. It turned out just as I had kind of pictured it. I also finished up the hand sewn binding on Jody's baby quilt and made a diaper clutch and changing pad to match the quilt. The shower is on Saturday. I worked more on the batik quilt from last week, but decided it is really mindless sewing and I would be better spent doing that at my sewing club night with friends on Friday the 14th, so I packed it away for then.
Sunday marked the last day of my summer graduate class. I am so excited to be done! Three weeks until the next class starts. This is one I'm worried about since it is a law class, but better to have it done before baby than to try to do it after. I worked on my paper Sunday afternoon, so Sunday night I got to sew. I made the diaper clutch and then it was still early and Mikaela was asleep, so I started this UFO of mom's. It's a baby quilt and it was all cut out. I just added the borders to the panel. I plan to quilt it up for my brother and his fiance. They are having a little boy at the end of Oct. We already have one pretty similar for our little boy when he makes his arrival.
IMG_0433
Then with working on the batik quilt, I've also been working on a Hugs and Kisses quilt. It is another mindless sewing project I am taking to sewing night, but I had all these leftover batik strips and I found this Autumn Star quilt that the strips were in. I was afraid to cut them up since I thought they belonged in this UFO of my mom's. Well as I pulled it out, I realized I only needed to finish 5 seams! Really I was shocked that mom had it this close to done and didn't finish it. Last night while I was working on some embroidery, I started piecing it together. There were quite a few seams that were loose, too big of stitches and all pressed open, so I sewed them up and finished piecing it together. There are a couple points I couldn't get to match, but done is better than perfect. I love how it looks and can't wait to quilt it. This one was a lesson in not pressing open (even though the pattern says to) and using a smaller stitch length. Most quilters don't realized they need to shorten the stitch length on their machine when piecing. Machines are set for regular stitching where you would back stitch, however if you don't do that, then they need to have a shorter stitch length so the pieces don't come apart.
IMG_0426
Last night we were supposed to have our last live session of class, but due to a family emergency, our instructor couldn't make it and we didn't have class. I pulled out the embroidery machine and did two different designs. One was a label for dad's quilt and the other a special project, which I can't show. They both turned out great though! I love doing embroidery when it all works. I can do it and sew at the same time!
Saturday Mikaela and I went with dad to Keystone to the parade. Mikaela enjoyed the horse and waiting on the road for the parade to start. She is starting to get the concept of picking up candy.
IMG_0368IMG_0376
Finished this week:
Jody's baby quilt - Barn Yard Friends Quilt
Diaper Clutch for Jody's baby shower
Autumn Star Top
Cre8tive Swap w/ Jen -Top done!
Dump Truck Quilt top

Ongoing projects:  (and progress this week on them)
Sign Language Diaper Clutch
Batik Scrappy Quilt
Hugs & Kisses Batik quilt
Hugs & Kisses Scrappy Quilt

Quilts Needing Hand sewing on Binding
Pink/Brown Friendship Quilts -Handwork on binding - 1 left
Buggy Barn Pink/Brown Extra Blocks -Binding- 1/2 done!
Completed tops awaiting quilting:
Blush Quilt  - backing made! - Loaded on the frame
Pink/Green Jungle Animal Baby Quilt - Need to make backing
Confetti Top - At the shop
Twisted Heart - At the shop
Merry Go Round - Back from the shop, need to add final two rows
Mocha Meringue Wonder Blocks- borders on - backing made
Autumn Star Quilt - needs backing
Dump Truck Quilt top

New Projects:

No progress:
Ed's Crown Royal Quilt - Started sashing - Need to get a move on, he's getting married
Dilly Dally Baby Girl Quilt
Swoon - 2 Blocks done

This week's stats:
Completed projects -2
New projects -1
Currently in progress - 4
Finished this year - 47 , 12 Samples

I'm linking up for WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced!

wipwednesdaybutton

No comments: