Sunday, October 04, 2009

It's Official...

This week we found out the quilt shop that mom and I work at, Quilt Corral Too, will be closing October 11. It was made official during Strip Club on Sat. at the shop. It was so hard to say good-bye to all the amazing and wonderful customers I have met over the past year and a half I've worked there. The shop will be moving back to Mistletoe Ranch, but because of the 60+ mile drive, it's not feesible to drive there to work. I don't know what the future holds, but I've enjoyed working in the quilting industry and I'll find another niche to fill somewhere. I absolutely love teaching classes and helping beginners get into quilting. It has been my dream part-time job.
I have been getting behind on my quilting projects, so I should have plenty of stash stocked up to keep me busy while I decide if I want another part time job. I have two projects I know of that I hadn't bought fabric for, so on Sat. I got the fabric for both. When I decided to do the One Block Wonder I was too chicken to try it with full priced fabric, so I used sale fabric. Since I have the blocks done, I saw how easy it was to do, and I want to do it with the fabric I originally wanted to use. When we first got the cowgirls in, I fell in love with them. I wasn't sure what I was going to do, but with all the colors I figured they would make an awesome One Block Wonder. I picked up 5 yards on Sat, so I should be able to get a nice sized quilt out of it.
IMG_0122
I'm also planning to make a wedding quilt for a very special cousin. She's getting married next year and I know what I want to do, but just hadn't gotten the fabric. I picked up this cool spiral fabric that I'll use as it's in colors I know she loves.
IMG_0123
This weekend I have been busy making a professional tote for my trip to Disney World. I am using the purple/teal/navy batik that I used for my star quilt. The contrast is teal and the lining is purple. I have the front, back, and sides done. I was ready to sew it together tonight when our electricity went out. The whole neighborhood was out for almost 2 hours. I hope to be able to finish the professional tote this week. So far I haven't had any problems with it.
Front:
IMG_0125
Back:
IMG_0126




100 Blocks 100 Days ~ 110 Blocks/ Day 21

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

So sorry to hear the shop is closing : (

Becky said...

i'm going to miss the store in town and i'm really going to miss bag ladies even tho i have not been able to attend the last couple months.

Jen said...

I'm still sad about your shop. =(