Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Grandmother's Flower Garden


A woman from my hometown asked me to help her husband and his sisters finish this quilt. It's a hand-sewn Grandmother's Flower Garden. She wanted 3 baby quilts, a bed runner, a couple pillows, and an unquilted section. This was an overwhelming project, but I figured out how to quilt it and leave one corner unquilted. A day before I planned to quilt it, the woman who wanted her section unquilted, wanted it quilted, so I quilted the entire quilt.  
Then I had to cut it. This made me super nervous. I need up using blue painters tape and then cut through the middle of each block. I originally was going to do 4 pillows, but it worked better to do the upper right corner the other direction, so I changed it to go vertical. This allowed me to do three sections for the baby quilts.  
I quilted the backing fabric and made two pillows. 


I sewed top and bottom sections to the three baby quilts and put batting on them and put them back on the frame and quilted both the top and bottom. It worked out way better than I could have ever imagined. 


I took one section (the tope rows) and made a bed runner. 
The final (unquilted section) ended up as a small table topper or baby quilt, or back of the couch quilt. I'm not really sure what it will be, but it's a quilted quilt.
I used muslin on the back and quilted it on my frame. The thread was a darker gray glide thread and I bought a hand-dyed pink to use for the baby quilts and the binding. This turned out to be a really amazing project and I'm proud of how it turned out. 


1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow, it had to be totally nerve-wracking to cut up that quilt! The projects look great, hope the family loves them.