The Crown Royal Quilt is finished! After 5 years of collecting bags, months of searching for a pattern, and days of working on this quilt, it's finally completely and totally done. I saw a free pattern for this quilt, but it didn't work with the size of the blocks I had cut out, so I changed the size, adjusted the other blocks and made it work with the blocks I had. I used 72 bags for this quilt and a lot of fabric! I think it was close to 18 yards of fabric. The back is solid black as is the binding. The border is the same print as the gold, but in a purple and it really pops the bags. The next one I do will have smaller center squares since some of these I had to use the seams of the CR bags and the thread on those is nylon. It simply melted and burned if it was pressed. If I cut the centers at 4" instead of 4.5" I think I'll have better luck.
This quilt is going to my brother and his wife. I am hopeful they will use it on their bed as they asked for a queen size and that's what size I was able to make it. The next one I make will be for my little bro and then one for Vicki, the lady who gave us all the bags. She collects them over the course of a year at the bar she works at and then gives them to my brother at hunting time. My dad and Paul held up the quilt, but the living room really wasn't big enough to be able to see it well. The golden color is the most true part of the coloring.
I put it on the frame a week before Christmas and had plenty of time to quilt it, but our lives took an unexpected turn and I just didn't have the enthusiasm to finish it for Christmas for my brother. I was off early on New Years Eve and I finished the quilting before we headed to my parents for the weekend. I took the quilt with me and put the binding on, on New Years Day. I ended up sewing it all by machine as I hope the quilt will be used a lot and that way it's durable.
It was hard to hold it up without hitting the ceiling fan! It's 11 blocks by 13 blocks, 7.5" finished blocks.
I put it on my parents queen size bed and it hangs over both sides and top and bottom on it. This picture is after it's washed and dried.
This is a close-up of the quilting. I did a meandering with black Isacord in the top and black Bottomline. It worked really well.
Another closeup of the quilting. I quilted around the embroidered part of the bag.
My first official UFO finish of 2010! I'm so glad to have this monkey off my back, now I can't wait to give it to my bro and see if he likes it.