Tuesday, May 14, 2013

May Sewing Stuff

One of my favorite things about quilt retreat is the sharing of gifts. I made quite a few things to give, but finished up at the last minute. I made these zippered pouches using the leftover pieces from my PJ pants I made for retreat. I have one more to gift before I show it, but I did some embroidery on it. I would have liked to do them all that way, but time worked against me. Maybe next time I'll prepare ahead of time a little more. I finished these at 9PM Thurs. before retreat!

Zippered bags for retreat friends
I also made everyone a needle book to put in their bags. I was thinking it would be a cute little hand sewing kit.
Needlebooks
At the retreat Jenn worked on her blocks for me for the friendship swap I am in. Gaila's were already done and they are going to look so good together. I totally got a rash of shit for "having the hardest block" I can totally take a joke though and Emilee & Tammy will just have to suck it up and make the blocks. I couldn't have asked for better friends to share the amazing weekend with. Nicole and Cindy were there too and it was so much fun.
Friendship Blocks
Before I left for retreat I made this notebook cover for my friend/co-worker Kim's graduation. I was the instigator behind her going back to college at 49. I encouraged her, supported her, and really was a cheerleader to push her to complete her degree. She only had to take 7 classes to finish and she graduated. I'm like a proud mom with her kid graduating, even though she's old enough to be my mom. Education is so important, no matter what age! Although she says if she ever utters the word Masters, she's gonna kick my butt.
Untitled
On our shop extravaganza on Sat. I picked up some english paper piecing 6 point stars pieces. I drew out the pattern and was thinking it would be a lone star, but it's only 6 points, not 8. I stopped at the quilt shop and ordered the 8 point star pieces.
English paper pieced 6 point star
I also picked up a few fabrics and have them all cut out to make my star. I have 1 of 6 diamonds almost done, then I have to baste a bunch more! It's turning out really pretty.
Star Quilt fabrics for EPP star
This is my April Ahhhh #8 which took me almost all of April and the first half of May. I'm not sure why it took so long, other than I was procrastinating. It's called Tumbling Stars, but I made tumbling blocks. I have also packaged up all the beginner and intermediate ones, so I should be able to stitch them up much quicker now. I'm leaving the advanced ones for later.
Ahhhh #8 Tumbling Stars
So in a nutshell that's what I've been working on. I haven't turned the machine on since I got home. Actually it's still packed as I want to do some embroidery and I need to work on that. I'm still in school and it's keeping me very busy each week. Thank goodness for pumping breaks, so I have time to stitch.

No comments: