Monday, April 26, 2010

Virtual Quilting Retreat - Sunday

Sunday I started out slow with the quilting. I got sucked into the Nascar race with Paul and ended up napping till the last half hour or so, just long enough to see the best wreck of the day! Paul's guy Kevin Harvick won too, the first time in 3 years, so he was excited to say the least. I put away the Jewel box quilt and worked on the Grids and Grommets bag. I'm teaching it in May, so wanted to get the sample done soon. I did grid quilting on it using my walking foot and a 60* angle. I really like how it turned out.
IMG_0020
By supper time it looked like this. With two layers of fusible fleece, it's got lots of body.
IMG_0021
By 10 last night it looked like this! I still had to put the grommets in and make the handle. I just didn't want to do grommets so late, so I waited till tonight.
IMG_0023
I got the grommets in with no trouble and the handle made up faster than I expected. I would have done it different, but it worked out. The directions were aweful to understand, but I worked my way through them, one step at a time.
IMG_0036
I put in the option magnetic snap. It works great and adds that extra piece of closure that really helps in a purse.
IMG_0039
I changed up the pockets and used a different fabric than the lining which I really liked.
IMG_0041
I'm actually loving it now that it's done. It's so springy and fun.
IMG_0042
It was a fun quilting weekend and I'm looking forward to my next project. I'm making the Charisma pattern out of yellows/oranges/corals/pinks/black/whites. It's going to be awesome. It's a store sample so I'll make it up quick and then get back to the purple jewel box quilt.

5 comments:

Barb said...

What a wonderful bag!!

Cyndi said...

That turned out really great...love the fabrics you used! I had that pattern and never made the bag because I couldn't understand the instructions! LOL!!!

XOXO,

Cyndi

Jen said...

It looks great! I haven't made one of those yet. I'm on an anti bag regimen.

piecesofpatti said...

Love the bag! Great fabrics........we missed you this weekend!

Barb said...

Love both the bag and the fabrics. Those grommets are great to work with.