Wednesday, March 02, 2016

OMG March Goal

Looking at the calendar this month, it's pretty open right now, so I am hoping to get a lot accomplished. My OMG goal for this month is to finish my Grandma Elaine's friendship quilt. It's circa 2004 and the blocks were made by her quilt guild at the time. It's a very small guild and at the time there were only about 3 quilters in it who were in the intermediate/advanced category. It's an older group of women and at the time they were mostly beginners. My mom and grandma joined together for something to do together. When my grandma passed in 2006, my mom received her blocks. When my mom passed in 2011, I received both grandma's blocks and mom's blocks. I just couldn't throw them away, so I decided last year to sash them, quilt them, and donate them back to the guild to use as they see fit. This week I pieced my grandma's top, the backing and the batting. My goal is to quilt and bind this one as well as my mom's before March 11th when we are going to the guild trunk show. Mom's top/backing/batting are already done.

Grandma Elaine's Friendship quilt circa 2004 top is done. Blocks from the Wall Quilt Guild.
I'm using a VIP fabric for the sashing and backing. Mom must have gotten a good deal because she had over 10 yards of it! It's so thin though it won't be staying in my stash. I'll donate it for their quilts of valor project. It really reminds me why I don't like to "stash" away fabric for later. Colors, quality, and trends change. I want to be able to adapt and change to whatever I like at the time. This fabric is probably only a little over 10 years and to think I wouldn't be using it if it wasn't free says a lot! I'm really working to finish the UFO's and WIP's in my collection and the new quilts I'm starting are coming from my scraps. I'm starting to feel a bit more successful with my quilt making.

For those who have made it this far... a word of advice... DON'T wait 3 years to update your quilt journals! I seemly quit updating my quilt journals when I had to order new ones. I ordered 9 at the time. That was 3 years ago when my son was born. I haven't updated them since! Luckily I'm really good at updating Facebook and Flickr so I have a well documented list of the quilts I have made, but even so it's taking me days/weeks of lunch breaks to update them. Plus the cost of printing out all the pictures of all the projects I have made over the last 3 years is daunting. Add on top of that the fact that I haven't made photo albums for my kids for the past 3 years and it's overwhelming. BUT... I'm starting, I have a plan and I'm going to get all of these updated!


SPONSORING OMG!

2 comments:

Joanie's Trendy Quilts said...

Wonderful blocks in your mom's quilts. I wonder if they were a block of the month quilt? What a wonderful heritage you have of both mom and grandma being quilters. It is going to be quite lovely.

Sara said...

Having a plan is always a good start. Just don't beat yourself up if you don't get the updates done as quickly as you want. Slow and steady is OK too.