Monday, July 28, 2014

Mikaela's Sewing Weekend

This month has flown by and I've been remiss to get in any sewing time with Mikaela. It's actually been a few months since we have been home long enough to get some sewing time in.
I'll be teaching a couple quick sew projects in December and the gals asked if it was a project that could be done with kids. I believe the runaround bag is one of the best patterns for kids. So I decided to see how long it would take with a 3 1/2 year old at the helm.
We set up her small sewing machine next to mine and I help her sew. She pressed all the fat quarters and I did the cutting. She puts her foot on the pedal and helps with the guiding. I have to do most of the prep work aka cutting, detailed pressing, and pinning. She does like to trim the threads though. She helped put in the zipper in the and did the topstitching.
20140726_133719
She loves her new bag and we made the handle short just for her. She loved trying all the zig zag decorative stitches on the handle.
20140726_142344
She was so excited that she "did it".
20140726_142425
Her bag
20140726_224914
The back of the bag
20140726_224939
On Sunday she went through my stash and found this fabric from her aunt Jane and made a bag for her friend Rosie. I couldn't find a contrast, so it's all the same. The first one took about 1 hour 15 min. The second took about 45 min. I set up the machine/area both times, so the second day she had more patience.
20140727_150150

She wanted to photo bomb my pictures. She had a lot of fun sewing and this will definately be a quick and easy project for kids and adults.
20140727_150001

3 comments:

Sara said...

I'm so amazed that she has the patience and focus to do this. And the fine motor skills too! Wow! My 3 year old grandson doesn't seem to have more than a 5 minute attention span yet.

Such cute bags!

juliehallfeldhaus said...

Sewing is something you and your daughter can share for years to come!!

Colleen said...

Yay Mikaela! Both your bag and your friend's look awesome!